Each year we are contacted by individuals and organisations wanting to carry out research, activities or filming on Trust land.  If you are looking to do any of these then please take a look at the information we require from you so that the correct permissions may be granted.

The Isles of Scilly Wildife Trust is responsible for more than 50% of the Isles of Scilly and much of the land we are responsible for falls within one or more designations.  Consequently we have a legal and moral obligation to ensure that any research, activities or filming taking place on our tenanted land (both the uninhabited and the inhabited Islands) and over the sea are done so in a way which is conducive to us protecting our natural and historic environment, the wildlife that inhabits it, the people that use it and is doing so within the law.

"Although much of the Trust's tenanted land is considered "open access" it is important that anyone carrying out research, activities or filming doesn't just assume that permission is implicit; it is not."

If you are unsure whether the land you would like access to for your proposed research, activity or filming is part of the Trust's tenancy and responsibility please do get in touch and have a chat.  If it's not then we can help to put you in contact with the relevant tenant or land owner. 

In order to start the ball rolling please take a look at our Access Request for Specific Activity Form this will give you an indication of the information we require in order to consider any "access requests". 

If you would like an editable form to complete please get in touch via the "hello" email address and we will send one on to you.

Please remember that every inch of Scilly is either Freehold or Leasehold and as such it technically "belongs" to someone; there is no "Common Land" or "Public Rights of Way". 

All access is at the discretion of the landholder and permissive; it is important that the correct permissions are received not just as a courtesy but for health and safety reasons to.

Use of Drones:

In recent years drones have become more and more popular, both commercially and privately.  Drones have a place in scientific research and some publicity but uses outside of these legitimate reasons could become problematic. It is therefore important that drone users in Scilly have the required licences/insurances, seek the correct permissions and follow the legislation in place before commencing flying and recording.

  • Seek tenant/landowners permission before flying - There is no "Common Land" or "Public Rights of Way" in Scilly so it is important that you seek and obtain permission before flying.  In relation to Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust Tenanted Land there are many reason why this is important: restrictions may be in place as a result of designations, breeding seabirds, breeding seals, work that is taking place etc.  If you are unsure who the tenant/landowner is please do get in touch and we can point you in the right direction.
  • Obtain clearance from Air Traffic Control before flying - Drone users need clearance from Air Traffic Control regardless of whether they are flying in or out of the restricted zone (as identified on the Council of the Isles of Scilly Website).  The Isles of Scilly has a busy airspace with condensed flying operations taking place both at the airport and surrounding Islands, which can include military, Search & Rescue and HEMS Helicopter flights. It is therefore important that ALL drone operators intending to fly outside of the Restricted Airspace still contact ATC with their location, timings with altitudes so that Air Traffic Control can inform all aircraft in the vicinity.  More details regarding how to do this can be found on the Council Website.