Volunteering is a great way of gaining experience in countryisde management, learning new skills and getting out and about in the fresh air.
Here in the Isles of Scilly we have various volunteering opportunities available throughout the year. Some are residential opportunities where you commit to volunteer with us for a period of time. These opportunities are mainly aimed at people living on the mainland who want to experience life in Scilly working for the Wildlife Trust, usually to gain knowledge and understanding of working in countryside management. We also have volunteer opportunities for people living in the islands which may be for a set period of time (eg. a day per week in the summer) or one-off days where we need help with a particular task (eg. a beach clean or scrub clearance).
- Volunteer wardens Required on the Isles of Scilly during 2014. Ideal for those wanting experience in countryside management for career development.
- Volunteer brushcutters Required on the Isles of Scilly during 2014. Ideal for those who already have some work experience and hold a current brushcutting certificate.
- Seabird ambassadors The Isles of Scilly Seabird Recovery Project are looking for a range of people to become involved in activities around seabird conservation
- Marine mammal strandings volunteers Cornwall Wildlife Trust Marine Strandings Network is on call every day of the year to investigate any stranded marine mammals that wash ashore dead on the Cornish and Scilly coast. Information gathered is shared with their partners at the Natual History Museum and the Zoological Society in London, who use the data to research strandings across the UK.
- British Divers Marine Life Rescue British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR) is an organisation dedicated to the rescue and well being of all marine mammals in distress around the UK. They have a team of trained marine mammal medics in Scilly that can respond to a live stranding.
- Wildlife Recording